The Revd Gerard Bonham – Carter


imageOur dear brother, friend and colleague Gerard Bonham – Carter, for many years Hon Asst Curate at St Paul’s and Chaplain at the Royal Hospital, died peacefully at home on 24th September 2015.

Gerard’s funeral service will take place on Friday, 9th October at 2.30pm at St Paul’s Church followed by a private committal at Putney Vale at 4.30pm.

Requiescat in Pace – Resurgat in Domino.

Adventures in Anglicanism

A joint venture of Whitelands College and the local deaneries, providing an opportunity to explore themes related to contemporary Christian life and faith.

You are cordially invited to our next series—Living Tradition—on Wednesday 14th October (Memory and Mission); 21st (Anglican Spirituality); and 28th (Alternative Traditions); 4th November (Nostalgia and Truth). There is no cost, but please book a place with the College Officer Paul Coward ( ; phone 020 8392 3511). We ask you to enrol for at least three of the four sessions.

See this flyer Living Tradition

Trinity 17 (27/9/2015)

Pewsheet 27 September 2015

Rededication of Altar Frontal

Today the Bishop of Kingston, The Rt Revd Dr Richard Cheetham, will be rededicating an altar frontal following its restoration by the the Royal School of Needlework based at Hampton Court Palace.

Altar FrontalThe hand sewn, white frontal was originally dedicated in 1920. A label records that it was: Presented to St Paul’s Church, Wimbledon Park by Maud M Lawrence and Annie O Turner. In solemn commemoration of the Peace Treaty Ending the Great War 1914-1919. Maud Lawrence and Annie Turner were, we believe, sisters. Another member of the family was Major R F L Turner, who lived next door to the church in Radley Lodge when it was still one large Victorian house (and, incidentally, rented as the first vicarage). Maud was married to Sir Paul Lawrence and they lived in Inner Park Road. All were prominent members of St Paul’s Church for many years, giving generously of their time, skills and money. (All are remembered on carved pew ends.)

The frontal is made of white silk damask and silk brocade and is embroidered with silk thread. The central panel has a design of intertwined lilies and grapes in Arts & Crafts Movement style, hand embroidered in gold threads of varying weights and thickness. The inscription on the superfrontal above is hand embroidered in raised gold thread and reads:

(Glory to God in the Highest and on Earth Peace)

Another label records that the frontal was Worked by Mary Symonds 399 + 401 Oxford Street London W 1. Mary Symonds was also known as Mrs Guy Antrobus and she was “one of the most accomplished embroideresses of the early twentieth century” (RIBA/English Heritage booklet about the architect Stephen Dykes-Bower).

The restoration has been paid for by the family of Betty Bryant, another long-standing and much-loved member of St Paul’s, who gave so generously of her time to St Paul’s and is sadly missed. A new label has been sewn into the frontal to record This altar frontal was refurbished in 2015 by the Royal School of Needlework in memory of Florence (Betty) Bryant 1919-2014 with donations from family and friends.

The Revd Caroline Risdon



Caroline, formerly a member at St Paul’s church, was ordained priest by the Bishop of Woolwich at St Alfege’s church in Greenwich today. She’s seen here with her daughter Grace after the service.